How good are long weekends?! With one extra day off, suddenly you may find yourself wanting to make the most of the time off and head out of town (I know I always do).
I’ve been on a tight budget lately as we are saving for travel next year so I know just how hard it can be planning a long weekend that won’t break the bank! Fear not through Melbournians, I’ve put together some ideas for your long weekend getaway that won’t blow the bank:
1. Drive along the great ocean road
If you haven’t yet driven along the Great Ocean Road, you need to do this! The road stretches 400 kilometres, it starts Torquay, (which is just over an hour and a half from Melbourne CBD), and it wraps around the coast all the way to the South Australian border. Along the way you can check out:
- The 12 apostles (a wonder of nature you can see for free!)
- The famous Bells beach in Torquay
- Stop in at Lorne and check out Teddy’s Lookout
- Otway Fly Treetop Adventures
There are also a tonne of reasonably priced accommodation spots along the Great Ocean Road, you could even look at hiring a cheap camper van. Because of our laws you will have to book in at registered campsites as free camping around this area is (unfortunately) illegal.
2. Drive to the Grampians and hike up to the top of the Pinnacles
I really love the Grampians, and it’s a plus that it is usually a cheap weekend away. It’s just over a three hour drive from Melbourne so is great to go for a night or two. For free you can check out the wildlife, go for walks in the bush and hike up to the top of the Pinnacle.
We recently stayed in the caravan park in town and it was super affordable! It’s nothing too fancy, but it is all you need when you are looking for a budget spot to stay. You will find that most of your time in the Grampians will be spent in the outdoors anyway therefore the room doesn’t matter too much.
Other cheap things to fill up your long weekend could include:
- Have some friends over for a BBQ and everyone chip in for food and drinks
- Pack a picnic and take it to your local park (how great is a picnic in Botanical Gardens in Melbourne?!)
- Go for a bike ride along the River and into the city
- Meander Melbourne’s many markets (Queen Victoria Market, South Melbourne Market, Prahran Market – the list goes on!)
- Spend the afternoon at St Kilda foreshore, going for a walk along the beach, checking out the street art, the bars and the shops.
Happy long weekend Melbourne!