Today I wanted to put together a little post for all you gals out there, to give you a big ol’ pat on the back and tell you it’s very cool to be smart, intelligent and confident. Growing up and going through secondary school I was always encouraged by my mum to work hard, try new things and to embrace my talents (thanks mum – you’re the best!).
These days though I am constantly left feeling a little sad at the way that some (and it is only some!) young females act, dumbing down themselves to sound foolish and ditzy. I know this role is something many females can be guilty of playing up to.
The idea of playing dumb is a toxic one. It can teach females that they should hide their intelligence. You just have to pop your head into a secondary school classroom to find a girl who’s confidence is extremely low. Or a workplace to find a woman who has trouble explaining what she is great at in a performance review.
If you are guilty of this then please stop playing into the hands of sexists, it sends out a message to young females that success can often lie in pretending to be stupid, and that it’s not okay for females to admit to having brains.
NEWS FLASH: Girls it’s cool to be smart! Stop hiding your intelligence!
When you embrace your intelligence you can soak up all of the great things that life has to offer you. Here are some pretty great reasons why:
- You have plenty of things to say and you can hold an interesting conversation
- You will gain more respect from others
- You will most likely win more arguments (or you will be a smart little cookie and walk away you know it’s best)
- You will have a great chance or scoring your dream job (no matter what or where it is!)
- Not that it is incredibly important to me, BUT with smarts and confidence you may find yourself making a lot more money than others around you
- You will feel better about yourself!
Now go hold your head up high and embrace your talents and smarts 🙂
Image: The lovely Shauna Lynn