I kind of regretted this title as soon as I wrote it, yeah I am a loud and proud feminist and I truly believe that deep down most people in this world wish for gender equality… so when I think about it, the title of this article should be: 10 books every feminist (or every human being in fact) should have on their bookshelf. I truthfully think that every person should read these books, male or female, feminist or not.
Today’s activist writers are killing it. We have so many diverse, rich, amazing texts with which we can fill our shelves. I don’t know about you, but I really love reading, I just can’t sleep well at night if I haven’t read a chapter (or ten) of a book. Combine my love of reading with my admiration of inspirational women and you get a pretty impressive looking, kick arse shelf of books.
So my dear readers, if you’re trying to figure out what feminism is about, learning how to navigate a world that may not be on your side, you are passionate about gender equality or you are just looking for some great reads, here are 10 books I would recommend to EVERYONE…
- Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso
- The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women by Naomi Wolf
- Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham
- I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- Desert Dawn by Waris Dirie
- Lean In by Sherly Sandberg
- The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
- Vagenda by Holly Baxter and Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett
- Women Of The Revolution by Kira Cochrane
- Women Of Letters by Marieke Hardy and Michaela McGuire
Happy reading! xo
*First published on June 29th 2015, updated list on October 9th 2015.