An award winning (modest) and honest travel blog
Hello! I’m Shannon, the creator and writer behind The Wild Hideaway, an honest lifestyle and travel blog with a focus on finding great places to stay and explore. I run this blog alongside being a freelance copywriter and marketing consultant.
One of the topics that I love to talk about the most is travel. I think that if you get a chance to live in this big and amazing world wouldn’t you want to spend time exploring it? Learning about all the different places within it? Challenging it? Appreciating it? So that’s exactly what I’ve decided to do. That’s why I created The Wild Hideaway.
On The Wild Hideaway I hope to inspire you to do things that make you feel happy, whether that’s exploring a new town, trying a new restaurant, staying at a beautiful hotel, saving for a holiday or just enjoying time with the people that you love.
If you’re planning an adventure to a new country, a weekend getaway or a road trip closer to home, The Wild Hideaway uncovers the best places to inspire you to get exploring.
Living out of backpacks
My partner Dave and I were going to take the usual next steps in life of buying a house, settling into careers and look at starting a family. We had a good think about this though and decided we’re not quite ready for that just yet.
I’m from a little town close to Melbourne (called Ballarat) in Australia and Dave is from New Zealand so we are often back and forth between the two countries, we couldn’t decide where to “settle down” so we decided we wouldn’t just yet.
As of January 2017, I took the leap of faith and decided to make The Wild Hideaway (and freelance writing) my full-time job. Dave and I now live out of backpacks and are exploring as much of the world that we can.
At our best we are documenting our lives on the road, sharing pretty photos and telling stories about the people we meet and the places we visit. At our worst we’re looking for pubs that do happy hour and running out of bus money.
During our travels I’ll share with you our stories (the good and the bad). Hopefully you enjoy following along with what we get up to and where in the world we are.
Awards, achievements and more:
I am super proud that The Wild Hideaway has been recognised as one of the top 5 Melbourne blogs in Australia! Also listed as one of Australia’s top 10 lifestyle blogs by Pedestrian TV.
– Partnered with a strong set of both local and international brands including Disney, Adrenalin, Frasers Hospitality and Etsy
– Listed as one of Culture Trip‘s top 5 Melbourne lifestyle bloggers
– Listed as one of Australia’s top 10 lifestyle blogs by Pedestrian TV
– Contributing writer to Melbourne Girl
– Contributing writer to iSelect Get Life Right
– Published the The Fashion Lovers Guide To Chapel Street
– Named the ADMA Australian Young Marketer of the Year for 2017
– Top 5 finalist for the ADMA Australian Young Marketer of the Year Awards 2016
– Bupa Blog Awards Finalist Nomination 2016
– Pedestrian TV Blogster Award Finalist (Lifestyle Category)
– Pedestrian TV Blogster Award Finalist (People’s Choice)
– Featured in Top Lifestyle Bloggers Reveal Their Best Life Hacks
– Key Speaker at the Kidspot Voices Masterclass
Hopefully you find something useful on this site, hopefully you enjoy spending time on this little space I have created. Thanks for stopping by!